Wednesday, December 30, 2009

'Tis the Season ...

When your family calls you out during Christmas and asks you "Whatever happened to you saying you write more blog posts?" you definitely feel like a jackass.

So you wanted it, so you're going to get it.

Like most of us, the holiday season has been an exceptionally busy time of year for me and like most of us it sneaked up me quick. My EMT class was drawing to a close and my mind was focused on passing the written final exam and preparing for the national registry practical exam. Although confident in my skills in basic life support and relative ease with the written final, I was still nervous as hell when I was in that room performing under the eagle eye of my examiner. You be glad to know that received verification that I passed my practical exam a couple days later.

Even though I've been at my job at GroupCast for about three months now and have developed some great relationships within the office, you still just can't get to know one's true self in a work environment. The weekend before Christmas, my company hosted it's annual "Holiday" party at Kemoll's on the 40th floor of The Metropolitan building downtown. When someone else pays for the booze, people have a tendency to consume more than normal. The company party was no different. I got to see people's true colors and it was a good thing. I got to know some of my coworkers as people, not just coworkers. As the party began to wind down, those of us who are on the younger side of the spectrum, went out on Washington Ave. To make a long story short, I ended up asking the company's president's daughter to the George Strait concert in February. I learned she is a big fan of "The King" and decided I'd rather take someone who will appreciate what she's seeing/experiencing rather than some random broad off the street. My new strategy for climbing the corporate ladder I suppose.

However, I still have one Holiday season story that is pretty sweet.

As I drove to work last week, I saw a car up ahead with it's hazard lights flashing. Being the good Samaritan that I am, I stopped and asked if everything was okay and if the person needed a jump start for their car. It was still fairly dark outside, but I could hear a woman's voice say: "My car just died on me." I pulled my truck around, popped my hood and dug out some jumper cables. The woman got out of the car and my jaw dropped. This girl was drop dead gorgeous. I couldn't believe it. I made every attempt to get her car started with no success. However no good deed goes unnoticed. She gave me her phone number and asked me to call her sometime.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!

Heading to Chicago for New Years again this year. Like last year, I'm sure I'll have something good to report back on.

No comments: