Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Livin' In Fast Forward

I'm young. I'm single. I'm independent. I live in the 4th largest city in the country where there are a ton of things to do, places to see, and people to meet. Sounds great right? There's only one problem ... I'm broke as a joke. That's right folks. I have all the freedom in the world but no money to utilize it. The bills keep piling up and the truck payments are still due at the first of the month. What's a young 22 year old to do? I wish I had the answer. I think about all the adventures I've had and all the ones that are still on my "to do" list. I'm afraid that I'll never have this kind of flexibility again. Who knows, a few years down the road I could have a wife and a kid- then what? Scary, I know. No more weekend road trips seeking life lived on the edge. Just more bills. More expenses. More burdens.

Now that I'm starting to establish myself and have a life away from the job, I'm actually starting to like life down here in South Texas. Meeting people with common interests and attitudes in such a large place is still difficult. I did a group bike ride with an IU alumnus last weekend. I had a blast even though it reminded me how out of shape I have gotten since Little 5, but I couldn't help but notice how much younger I was than everyone else. I've had similar experiences at the rock gym and other places. If there is anyone out there who is in their 20's who likes to bike, camp, etc., please let me know. I'm in a Sunday school class for young singles, but the guys I've met are a bunch of stiffs. I'm the "Saturday night on the town- church boy on Sunday" kind of guy.

I will admit this state does have it all. Forests, lakes, prairies, deserts- the works. I can drive 30 minutes south and see the Gulf of Mexico. I can drive 3 hours west and experience some of the best rock climbing in the country. I want to see it all while I'm here. It's mouth watering to think of all the outdoor adventure opportunities that are just a short drive away. I recently bought a new mountain bike to replace the one stolen from my truck bed. I go to a park right in the heart of the city. The park is pretty big and when you're in the middle, it feels like you're in the middle of nowhere. I use it as my escape and it has been working.

This weekend I'm meeting up with one of my Philmont Ranch crews for a land navigation competition. This is my first real trip deep into the heart of Texas (clap clap clap).

No comments: