Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Reason to hire John #234: Perseverance

"Don't give up ... don't ever give up!"
~ Jimmy Valvano


These words eloquently spoken by the legendary college basketball coach have been echoed and quoted a million times, but very few us actually take them to heart.

When I was in the seventh grade, I was cut from the middle school soccer team. When I was in the eighth grade, again, I was cut from the middle school soccer team. At this point, most people would have thrown in the towel and joined the track & field squad, but I didn't like running around in circles. I loved to play soccer- that was my sport.

So what did I do? I did something about it. I played more games. I practiced more on own in the backyard. I went to a week-long soccer camp at Indiana University. I played indoor soccer during the winter. I made that soccer ball my best friend. I watched every game that was on TV. I ate, drank, breathed, slept and dreamt soccer.

I barely made the team my freshman year of high school, but just being on the JV squad wasn't good enough, I wanted to be a starter for the varsity.

So what did I do? I did something about it. I played more games. I practiced more on own in the backyard. I went to a week-long soccer camp at Indiana University. I played indoor soccer during the winter. I made that soccer ball my best friend. I watched every game that was on TV. I ate, drank, breathed, slept and dreamt soccer.

When most of my teammates hit their peak in terms of developing as soccer players, I kept improving my game year after year, and the coaches noticed it. In the face of adversity, I didn't give up. I stayed the course and kept pushing toward my goal even others said it couldn't be done.

Perseverance: per⋅se⋅ver⋅ance   [pur-suh-veer-uhns]
–noun
1. steady persistence in a course of action, a purpose, a state, etc., esp. in spite of difficulties, obstacles, or discouragement.

No comments: